We can share your stories on Salty.
Please read our guidelines carefully before submitting.
Update April 2022: Submissions are currently open, and accepted through the form below.
Pitches We Love to See:
Please help us refine this process by following the guidelines below, and being patient while we work through the pitches. Unfortunately, our small team is only able accept a small amount of the submissions received, so the best way to ensure publication is to follow these guidelines.
We would like to manage the expectations of our contributors, so before submitting, please be aware that it often takes months from submission to publishing. For this reason, we only accept evergreen content (evergreen content is content that is content that remains relevant regardless of the season or the time-frame.)
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- First person essays only: Write from your own lived experiences. The style should be very informal. Write how you talk. Salty Babes have strong opinions and are usually funny, too!
- Topics: Mental health experiences, fertility journeys, finance tips, explorations on identity, race, sobriety, dating and relationship stories, sex work, parenthood and living online. Strategies for living well are also welcomed.
- Pitches should be authentic to you. ie: If the pitch is about trans identity, it must be written by a trans person. If the pitch is about fat issues and experiences, it must be written by a fat person, etc
- Pitches must be evergreen. ie: You could read it in a years’ time, and it would still be relevant.
- Consider how original your pitch is. We get many pitches that sound similar. Please think outside the box and put your personal spin on it.
- Length: Max 1,500 words
- Important: Salty does not employ staff writers – that means we can’t write up coverage on anything for you.
If you’re battling a case of writer’s block, check out a few pieces that have been published for a bit of inspiration:
- Tips/Advice: How To Copyright Your Nudes To Avert Revenge Porn, 7 Gender Affirming Activities for Transwomen in the Closet
- Personal Essay: The Drugs Don’t Work, I’m Leaving The Binary, But I’m Keeping Black Womanhood
- Opinion: The Girl Boss-ification of Witchcraft, Back to Monogamy: Polyamory Didn’t Work for Me and I’m Not Ashamed
- Professional Perspective: How To Find Sex-Positive, Queer-Friendly Disability Aides
While we are a small platform with an engaged following, we do not have the funding to pay contributors for publication on Salty. In fact, we still do not have the funding to cover a majority of our overheads costs. (Become a member and help us survive!) We understand this may be a dealbreaker for you. If not, and your pitch is approved, your story will be shared on our beautiful platform and with the Salty community. Salty content is viewed on average, two million times each month and goes out to 50,000 inboxes! We think that’s pretty special.
We have top editors available to help refine final submitted pieces, if necessary. In the Salty spirit of authenticity, we do our best to assign top editors to articles written by authors of similar lived experiences.
Pitches Salty Doesn’t Love to See:
- Pitches promoting yourself or someone else, upcoming events, music, books, TV shows, people or films. (If you’d like to be considered for a shoutout on our Instagram account – apply here.)
- Reviews or recaps of TV shows, films or books
- Explicit retellings of traumatic events
- Event or fashion coverage
- News or timely content
- Interviews or Q&As
- Anything written by cis men
- Stories that have been published online elsewhere
- By submitting any photo, text, or other content or information to Salty, you hereby represent and warrant that the submitted photo, text, or other content or information does not infringe on any copyright or trademark, any rights of privacy or publicity of any person, or any other right of any third party. You hereby represent and warrant that you have the right to transfer the photo, text, or other content or information to Salty free and clear of any claims or encumbrances.
- You acknowledge and agree that Salty shall have no obligation to post, display, or otherwise make publicly available any photo, text, or content or other information submitted by you, at any time.