We can share your stories on Salty.
Please read our guidelines carefully before submitting.
Update December 2021: Pitches are currently closed. Check back in a few months!
We believe that there is immense power in story telling, and in passing the mic to a diverse array of women, trans and nonbinary people to tell their own stories in their own voices. We are building this platform for you to share your advice and perspectives!
While we are a small platform with an engaged following, we do not have the funding to pay contributors for publication on Salty. In fact we still do not have the funding to cover a majority of our overheads costs. (Become a member and help us survive!) We understand this may be a dealbreaker for you. If not, and your pitch is approved, your story will be shared on our beautiful platform and with the Salty community. Salty content is viewed on average, two million times each month and goes out to 50,000 inboxes! We think that’s pretty special.
We have top editors available to help refine final submitted pieces, if necessary. In the Salty spirit of authenticity, we do our best to assign top editors to articles written by authors of similar lived experiences.
Salty is a very small team, mostly volunteers, and we are trying to keep up with the massive amount of submissions we receive. Please help us refine this process by carefully considering the guidelines below before submitting, and being patient while we try to get through all the pitches and submissions.
We would like to manage the expectations of our contributors, so before submitting, please be aware that it may take months from submission to publishing. We encourage evergreen pitches for this reason (Evergreen content is content that doesn’t go out of date. It revolves around a topic that’s always relevant to readers, regardless of the current news cycle or season.) There are so many beautiful stories to tell, and as a result, Salty has a huge backlog of content and unfortunately, a very small team to push it through.
Pitches We Love to See:
- At this time, Salty publishes first person essays and articles centered around wellness, mental health, fertility, finance, beauty, identity, race, sobriety, self care, dating, body positivity, relationships, sex work, parenthood and living online.
- Salty prioritizes serviceable and evergreen content. Serviceable content are stories that teach the reader something new, or gives them useful tips and tools that will empower them in their lives. Evergreen content is content that doesn’t go out of date. It revolves around a topic that’s always relevant to readers, regardless of the current news cycle or season.
- Pitches should be authentic to you. (ie: If the pitch is about trans identity, it must be written by a trans person.) Draw from your lived experience and identity, and share your unique perspective, especially if it’s one that’s not heard often in media. BIPOC to the front!
- Clear, concise pitches explaining your thought-out idea are more likely to be approved. Please limit your pitch to one paragraph.
- Consider how original your pitch is. We get many pitches that sound similar. Please think outside the box.
- Important: Salty does not employ staff writers – that means we can’t write up coverage on anything for you.
Pitches Salty Doesn’t Love to See:
- Pitches promoting yourself or someone else, upcoming events, music, books, TV shows, people or films. (If you’d like to be considered for a shoutout on our Instagram account – apply here.)
- Reviews or recaps of TV shows, films or books
- Event or fashion coverage
- Anything written by cis men
- Stories that have been published online elsewhere
- By submitting any photo, text, or other content or information to Salty, you hereby represent and warrant that the submitted photo, text, or other content or information does not infringe on any copyright or trademark, any rights of privacy or publicity of any person, or any other right of any third party. You hereby represent and warrant that you have the right to transfer the photo, text, or other content or information to Salty free and clear of any claims or encumbrances.
- You acknowledge and agree that Salty shall have no obligation to post, display, or otherwise make publicly available any photo, text, or content or other information submitted by you, at any time.